Plants are the perfect decorative addition to any room in your home. While it may be challenging to find the right containers to complement your décor, don't let that stop you. Painting terracotta pots is the simplest way to make custom flower pots that are just your style. Here's everything required to create your own.
Materials Needed for Painting Terracotta Pots
The best thing about this task is that the paints and tools are low-cost and available at most businesses that offer painting services. For the price of one decorative planter from a well-known home store, you can make two of your own. Here's what you'll need:
Coming Up with a Painting Plan
As appealing as it is to begin this project with a childlike sense of wonder, you shouldn't do it. It would be best if you determined what colors you want to use. It would be best if you thought about what you want to paint on each pot before you even begin. Also, don't forget that a beautiful color palette helps tie the complete look together.
Unless you're amazing with a paintbrush, use guides to produce straight lines for your designs.
Apply the Paint to Terracotta Pots
When applying paint to the pots, make sure to wait for each coat to dry before applying the next layer. Here is some advice on the paint:
· Light colors require more coats to cover the terracotta.
· A foam brush works excellently for vast surfaces since it helps reduce brush strokes.
· When you're using painter's tape, remove it while the paint is damp. If it dries, the tape can pull little pieces of paint off with it.
Tips for Painting Terracotta Pots
Try painting an old terracotta pot. First, soak the pot in warm water for two hours. If the container is soiled, add bleach to the warm water. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure the pot is completely dry before putting on any paint.
· Use thin, light coats when painting. Applying thick layers might result in dripping and pooling.
· If you're using spray paints, be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.
· Don't paint over the holes at the bottom of the pot. Without correct drainage, plants are susceptible to rot.
To find out more information about painting plant containers, call Rochester Painting.
With metal furniture, you deal with rust and chipped paint and rust, making it look cheap and dingy. But you can make it look fabulous again. Painting metal furniture necessitates the same technique used with outdoor furniture, making it the quickest and easiest way to update your home's appearance.
Steps to Painting Metal Furniture
1. Take the furniture outside. If you must work indoors, be sure you have enough ventilation by turning on the exhaust fans and opening all the windows. To avoid breathing in the paint fumes, wear a painter's mask. It would be best if you also put on rubber gloves and safety glasses.
2. Put the furniture on top of a tarp or drop cloth. Wash the furniture thoroughly to remove any dirt, grime, or dust.
3. Rinse and dry the furniture. Apply a layer of turpentine or vinegar to the metal furniture to get rid of any oil or grease. Allow the furniture to dry for 40 minutes.
4. Sand the metal if the paint is bubbled or chipping. With fine-grit sandpaper, sand the metal until the surface is smooth. Clean the dust off the metal.
5. With newspaper or plastic, conceal any parts you don't want to paint. Fasten the covering with tape.
6. Spray the furniture with rust-resistant paint or metal primer. Spray evenly with up and down strokes to avoid drips.
7. Allow the primer to dry completely. Since drying times differ, be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
8. Shake a can of spray enamel paint and apply it the same way as the primer.
9. Let the first layer dry completely before putting on the second coat of paint. 11
10. The furniture should be completely dry before using it. Some metal paints take more than 72 hours to dry.
Painting Metal Furniture Tips
Contact Rochester Painting to learn more about metal furniture painting.
Nothing looks more unattractive than discolored wicker furniture. Luckily, painting wicker furniture is a great way to revive tired pieces with just a fresh coat of paint. Please keep reading to learn how to get it done.
The 411 on Painting Wicker Furniture
Durable and lightweight, a solid piece of wicker furniture can last for years with the proper care. To shield the wicker from the elements, don't forget to apply a fresh coat of paint every year.
Regardless if it's a touch-up or a total makeover, use these steps to prep and paint your wicker furniture with ease. Visit your local home painting store to buy all the necessary tools and paint for the job.
Prep Work for Your Wicker Furniture
With soapy water and a sponge, clean the wicker. Afterward, rinse the piece by hosing it down with plain water. Let the wicker air-dry.
Now it's time to prime. Use an oil-based spray primer and apply a few coats to deliver the best possible results. Be sure to wait for the first coat to dry completely before applying a second coat. Primer dries fast, so doing the painting task the right way doesn't take all day long.
Time to Paint
Finally, it is paint time. The best paint to use for wicker is an outdoor and indoor home paint that's durable, flexible, and sticks to the furniture. Apply the second primer coat has dried, apply the paint in two thin layers, making sure the first one completely dries before applying the second one. You might find it easier to paint the back of the furniture first and the visible parts second.
Again, let the paint dry completely before putting on a second coat. Even though the paint might dry within only a couple of hours, give the wicker furniture a couple of days to cure before you start back to using it again.
You'll be surprised by the difference fresh paint makes on your wicker furniture. It makes your wicker look new and attractive. Repeat this wicker refresh work every few years, and your furniture will serve you incredibly for many seasons.
Call Rochester Painting to get more information on wicker furniture painting.
Painting your curtains delivers plenty of drama and energy to a room. The best part is that you don't have to hire an interior painting expert. Curtain painting is an easy DIY paint project.
Steps for Painting Curtains
A Few Painting Curtain Tips
For ideas, search online and check out social media sites such as Pinterest and Instagram.
Advantages of Having Painted Curtains
Stop by Rochester Painting and find out more about painting curtain projects.
This blog is devoted to painting ideas and tips from Rochester Painting NY, give us a call and we will make your ideas into reality!