Plants are the perfect decorative addition to any room in your home. While it may be challenging to find the right containers to complement your décor, don't let that stop you. Painting terracotta pots is the simplest way to make custom flower pots that are just your style. Here's everything required to create your own.
Materials Needed for Painting Terracotta Pots
The best thing about this task is that the paints and tools are low-cost and available at most businesses that offer painting services. For the price of one decorative planter from a well-known home store, you can make two of your own. Here's what you'll need:
Coming Up with a Painting Plan
As appealing as it is to begin this project with a childlike sense of wonder, you shouldn't do it. It would be best if you determined what colors you want to use. It would be best if you thought about what you want to paint on each pot before you even begin. Also, don't forget that a beautiful color palette helps tie the complete look together.
Unless you're amazing with a paintbrush, use guides to produce straight lines for your designs.
Apply the Paint to Terracotta Pots
When applying paint to the pots, make sure to wait for each coat to dry before applying the next layer. Here is some advice on the paint:
· Light colors require more coats to cover the terracotta.
· A foam brush works excellently for vast surfaces since it helps reduce brush strokes.
· When you're using painter's tape, remove it while the paint is damp. If it dries, the tape can pull little pieces of paint off with it.
Tips for Painting Terracotta Pots
Try painting an old terracotta pot. First, soak the pot in warm water for two hours. If the container is soiled, add bleach to the warm water. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure the pot is completely dry before putting on any paint.
· Use thin, light coats when painting. Applying thick layers might result in dripping and pooling.
· If you're using spray paints, be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.
· Don't paint over the holes at the bottom of the pot. Without correct drainage, plants are susceptible to rot.
To find out more information about painting plant containers, call Rochester Painting.
This blog is devoted to painting ideas and tips from Rochester Painting NY, give us a call and we will make your ideas into reality!